Harman Claytor Corrigan & Wellman
This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Melissa Teschke of Harman Claytor Corrigan & Wellman, P.C., in Alexandria. Melissa is a graduate of East Carolina University and The Catholic University Columbus School of Law. She has served VADA as a member of our 2021 Annual Meeting Planning Committee and as a member of our 2022 Long Range Planning Committee.
1. Where were you born?
2. Tell us about your spouse? Children? Pets?
I’m recently married to my husband, Andrew. We don’t have any children quite yet, but we do have a 4 year-old pit bull named Bailey.
3. What type of law do you practice?
General liability defense.
4. What do you like most about practicing law?
I love that every case presents a new challenge and that I am constantly learning new things. One day I could be doing a deep dive into the intricacies of a sprinkler system and the next I could be learning all about the anatomy of the knee. This job is never boring!
5. How long have you been a member of VADA?
About two years.
6. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
The people! I haven’t been a part of this organization for very long, but so many people have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and supported.
7. Who is the most fascinating person you ever met?
I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone truly fascinating, but I did meet Bill Nye the Science Guy once.
8. What is the one app on your phone you cannot live without?
Other than the texting app, I’d have to say the Podcast app. True crime podcasts are my guilty pleasure.
9. What is at the top of your bucket list?
I’d like to travel to every state in the U.S. Thirty down, 20 to go!
10. What is the one movie or TV show you can watch over and over again, no matter how many times you have seen it?
11. What talent do you wish you had?
I wish I could sing.
12. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Travel, work on DIY projects around my house, spend time with family, and go to wineries and breweries in the area.
13. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
A cruise director. Or a lottery winner.
14. If someone were to walk into my office, one of the first things they would notice would be …
This is embarrassing … . The first thing they’d notice would be the bare walls and the diplomas sitting on the floor. I haven’t gotten around to hanging them!
15. What was your first job?
My first job was at Hollister Co.
16. In what section of a bookstore would someone be most likely to find you?
Definitely the section with the DIY books. I like to think of myself as an amateur Joanna Gaines.
17. What is your favorite travel spot?
This is a tough one. I love to explore new places. However, the coolest place I’ve ever been is New Zealand.
18. What is the last live concert you attended?
I think it was Jimmy Buffett.
19. My favorite way to unwind after a long day at work is …
With my husband and a glass of good wine.
20. What is your definition of success?
Success is so many different things. Success is fulfillment in life. Not just financial fulfillment, but also happiness and healthiness. Success is learning something from failures. Success is trying your hardest at everything you do.