Tracy Taylor Hague
This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Tracy Taylor Hague of Vandeventer Black LLP in Richmond. Tracy is a graduate of the University of Richmond and the Washington & Lee University School of Law. She has served VADA as Chair of our Professional Liability Section and currently serves as Vice-Chair of VADA’s Appellate Advocacy Section. In addition to her Section leadership, Tracy has been a frequent speaker at VADA meetings and seminars on topics germane to her areas of expertise.
1. Where were you born?
I was born in Lexington, Virginia, while my father was attending Washington & Lee Law School.
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I’ve been married to my husband, Travis, since 2004. We have two beautiful daughters, Emily and Allison. We also have five chickens. The original four were named Sprinkles, Brooklyn, Jersey, and Princess Nincompoop.
3. What type of law do you practice?
I have a varied practice focusing on professional liability defense, personal injury defense, and other civil litigation matters, including cases involving alleged breach of contract, tortious interference with business and contractual relationships, defamation, and unlawful discrimination.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What was your favorite subject in school?
6. What made you decide to become a lawyer?
I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer. My father was a lawyer and practiced for over forty years before his retirement. There was never a doubt that I would follow in his footsteps.
7. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Lots and lots of travel.
8. What is your favorite food or drink?
9. If you were to visit my office, one of the first things you would notice would be …
Photos of my girls.
10. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Watch our daughters explore new activities and interests. One of our daughters is playing varsity tennis for her high school. The other is riding horses.
11. What is your favorite TV show, movie, or podcast?
This is a tough question. There are so many good ones, including The Office, 1883, Ozark, Top Gun, My Cousin Vinny, Walk the Line. It’s hard to pick just one!
12. What talent do you wish you had?
I’d love to play a musical instrument. My attempts at playing the piano and clarinet never got very far.
13. Who is your real-life superhero?
14. What is your favorite travel spot?
This is easy – the beach!
15. What is your favorite type of music?
16. What was your first job?
My first job was babysitting my cousins, who were just 4 and 2. I was only 12. I still can’t believe that my aunt and uncle let me watch them at that age! I must not have been too bad – One of my cousins became a lawyer and the other became the chief of police in a neighboring town.
17. What is your guilty pleasure?
18. What is the last movie you saw in a theater?
It’s been so long, it’s hard to remember! It might be Frozen.
19. What is the last live concert you attended?
20. What advice would you give to someone new to VADA?
Become involved early. Go to the meetings and happy hours. You will learn a lot and make some good friends along the way.