This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Madelaine Kramer of Sands Anderson in McLean. Madelaine currently serves as the Potomac Regional Director on the VADA’s Board of Directors. She also has served as a Director at Large, and as a Chair of the Product & Toxic Torts Section.
1. Where were you born?
"Born in the USA" (New Jersey)
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
Spouse: Mr. Dana Katz
3. What type of law do you practice?
I handle matters involving complex procedural and evidentiary issues, including medical malpractice, attorney malpractice, estate litigation and products liability.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
Most likely since my first day of practice in 2011.
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Meeting and collaborating with fantastic attorneys from around the Commonwealth.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
Motions practice – specifically, the development of arguments, including those which are hotly contested or may be of first impression in Virginia.
7. What is your least favorite thing about the practice of law?
When a pro se party or opposing counsel sets out a nonsensical argument - I would much prefer an argument with teeth, or grounded in applicable law.
8. What is the one app on your phone you cannot live without?
"Crossword" - The New York Times Crossword Puzzle
9. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Experiencing the Northern Lights from a Glass Igloo in Scandinavia
10. What was your undergraduate major?
11. What was your first job
Lifeguard and swim instructor at Park Shore Country Day Camp. I also lifeguarded at private parties (family BBQ’s, birthday parties, etc.)
12. What talent do you wish you had?
To be able to paint like Omar Ortiz.
13. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Catch up on the latest Netflix or Amazon series.
14. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
A nurse in a hospital setting – the schedule can be very conducive to traveling.
15. What is your one guilty pleasure?
A delicious brie or other soft cheese.
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
Somewhere I can explore a new culture and food scene.
17. What section of a bookstore is someone most likely to find you in?
New hardcovers fiction.
18. What book is currently on your beside table?
Endurance by Alfred Lansing. It is a fascinating and thrilling read about a 1914 expedition to Antarctica.
19. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
Get involved in your local or specialty bar association. It is a fantastic and enjoyable way to meet and learn from other attorneys, and the educational benefits are priceless.