This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Terrence Graves of Sands Anderson in Richmond. Terrence served as President of VADA in 2007-08. Before that, he served for 10 years on the VADA’s Board of Directors. Terrence has also served as the Virginia State Representative to DRI and currently is a member of VADA's Transportation Liability, Product & Toxic Torts, Policy Coverage, and Professional Liability sections. He has also served at various times as a member of VADA's Annual Meeting Committee, Finance Committee, Judicial Endorsements Committee, Legislative Committee, and Nominating Committee.
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I'm married to the beautiful Jacqueline Mason-Graves and we have one son, Terrence L. Graves, Jr.
3. What type of law do you practice?
Civil Litigation with a specific focus on defense of commercial transportation, construction defect, professional liability, and product/toxic tort cases involving catastrophic personal injury and property damage.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
The friendships I've been able to build through the years.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
The ability to make a positive impact on society through making sure that everyone is afforded representation, so that the entire picture is presented and not just one side.
7. Who is the most fascinating person you ever met?
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
8. What is the last book you read?
Typhoon Fury by Clive Cussler
9. What is at the top of your bucket list?
To visit Australia and New Zealand
10. What is your favorite TV show?
The Walking Dead
11. What was your favorite subject in school?
12. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Spend time with my wife and family, travel, and play video games
13. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
A sports agent
14. Who is your real life superhero?
My wife because she makes it all happen for us and so many other people around us.
15. What would your courtroom walk-up music be?
Can't Touch This by MC Hammer
16. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
Don't be afraid to ask questions about anything and everything and enjoy the little things.
17. What is your guilty pleasure?
Sipping on a glass of really good small batch bourbon after a long day at the office.
18. What is your favorite travel spot?
Any place that a cruise ship can visit/dock.
19. What is your definition of success?
Having the satisfaction of doing whatever it is that you do to the best of your ability.