This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Lindsay Rollins of Hancock, Daniel & Johnson, P.C., in Richmond. Lindsay is past Chair and Vice-Chair of the VADA’s Policy Coverage Section. She also has served as both Chair and Vice-Chair of the VADA’s Young Lawyers Division. Lindsay currently serves as an At Large Director on the VADA’s Board of Directors.
Lindsay Rollins & John Mumford of Hancock Daniel with S-E-A's Ryan Grantham & Adam Goodman
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I’m married to Clay Rollins (a labor and employment defense attorney at Ogletree Deakins) and we have three pets - Waylon (pit bull), Max (cat), and Stella (cat).
3. What type of law do you practice?
Insurance coverage and commercial litigation
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What is the last book you read?
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. After reading insurance policies and case law all day, I need a good novel.
6. How would you explain to a three year old what you do for a living?
I fight for the good guys (the good guys being insurance companies and defense clients, obviously).
7. What is the one item you cannot live without?
As much as it pains me to admit this, being without my cell phone is pretty anxiety-inducing.
8. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Buying a big piece of land where I can start a companion animal rescue.
9. What do you like most about practicing law?
Writing. I really enjoy crafting a motion and writing a brief to support it.
10. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Meeting new colleagues in the defense bar and making lasting connections with them. I look forward to every VADA meeting because it feels like getting together with friends.
11. Do you have a favorite movie quote?
“Do less.” - Kunu from Forgetting Sarah Marshall
12. What was the first concert you attended?
A friend’s parents took us to see Cher in the sixth grade. Cyndi Lauper was the opening act.
13. Who inspires you and why?
This is a cheesy answer, but my parents. They’re just genuinely good people who care about each other and those around them. I’m lucky to have them and to have learned from them.
14. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Run, travel, hike, check out Virginia’s many wineries and breweries, and spend time with friends and family.
15. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Probably still practicing law. I’ve known this is what I wanted to do since I was 12 years old.
16. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
Don’t get discouraged by the steep learning curve. The practice of law is much different than law school and it can take a while to get the hang of it.
17. What is your guilty pleasure?
Pizza + ranch dressing.
18. When is the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
Probably yesterday. I like to laugh and do it often.
19. What is your definition of success?
Success, to me, is knowing I did my best. There will always be circumstances outside of my control, but I take comfort in knowing that I worked hard, was prepared, and did my best even if I don’t get the outcome I wanted.
Email Amy Gilbody at email@example.com if you would like to recommend a member (or yourself) for a future "Member Spotlight."
Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
1915 Huguenot Road, Ste 301
Richmond, VA, 23235
Executive Director: Sherma Mather
Director of Meetings: Amy Gilbody
Journal of Civil Litigation Managing Editor: Molly Terry