This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Stephen Marshall of Two Rivers Law Group, P.C., in Richmond. Stephen is past Chair of VADA’s Legislative Committee. He also has served as Chair and Vice-Chair of VADA’s Workers’ Compensation Section. Admitted to practice in both Virginia and the District of Columbia, Stephen is a graduate of the College of William and Mary, Virginia Commonwealth University, and The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law.
1. Where were you born?
Fort Knox, Kentucky.
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I’m married to my wife Holly. We have two children: Madison (14) and Hunter (12).
3. What type of law do you practice?
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
The personal relationships I have forged and continue to enjoy with fellow members.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
No monotony. Each day brings new challenges and solutions.
7. What was your favorite subject in school?
English and Literature.
8. What was your first job?
Assistant Dockmaster at Aquia Harbour.
9. What is the best book you have ever read?
The Riverside Shakespeare. (English major from Williamsburg, remember.)
10. What is the one item you cannot live without?
11. What is your favorite travel spot?
12. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Having a golf cart as my only needed means of transportation.
13. What is the best live concert you have ever attended?
Clint Black. It was especially special, as it was a private concert at the XM Studios in Washington, D.C. It was Clint Black, his band, my wife, and four other invited guests. He sang to my wife, who was pregnant at the time, and it brought her to tears. I asked him how it was to get thrown off a river boat deck by James Garner in the movie Maverick. He loved the question and went on with a long story, which concluded with how cold the water was.
14. What is your favorite movie, TV show, or podcast?
It’s a Wonderful Life, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers.
15. What is your favorite sports team?
It’s a tie between the Washington Nationals and the Washington Capitals. Finish the Fight and Rock the Red!
16. When I am not in the office, I like to …
Watch my son’s soccer games, my daughter’s dance competitions, play a round of golf at Salisbury Country Club.
17. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
“Strumming my six string … on my front porch swing!”
18. What is something even your friends probably don’t know about you?
I am a homebody at heart.
19. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
1) Join VADA; 2) join VADA; and then 3) join VADA. I joined as soon as I passed the bar. My membership has been an invaluable part of my journey as a lawyer.